Translate

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Nightmares with PTSD

Nightmares are a common issue when one deals with P.T.S.D. on a daily basis.When I or anyone with P.T.S.D fall asleep it is like reliving the traumatic experience over again. This occurs in the form of a nightmare. For me,it is reliving the death of my son. This occurs nightly for me. Without medication, I awaken to tears as well as panic attacks.As stated by the Department of Veteran Affairs (2013) "Nightmares are dreams that are threatening and scary. Nearly everyone has had a nightmare from time to time. For trauma survivors, though, nightmares are a common problem. Along with flashbacks and unwanted memories, nightmares are one of the ways in which a trauma survivor may relive the trauma for months or years after the event."
 I know that for me reliving the domestic violence and death of my son is a reoccurring problem. People may think I am sleeping and I very well may be. However, my mind is racing with the reoccurring thoughts. This leaving me tired in the mornings even though on the outside I slept for 12 hours. I feel angry. I cannot cope with a busy surrounding. My anxiety kicks in. At this point I get depressed because I feel as though I am not in control over myself.I feel as though I am alone or that as an adult I should not have nightmares. After researching this topic I found that I am not alone and would like to raise awareness for those that struggle like me everyday. Nightmares can be caused for many different reasons.







No comments:

Post a Comment